Today I receied my July Glam Bag in the mail. I knew it was coming, because Ipsy sends its' subscribers emails when their bag has been shipped. They also give you an overiew of the products you could be receiving. Not every Glam Bag is the same-I think you get 5 out of a possible 7 or 8 products each month. This month I was really excited because one of the possible products was a sample size of Benefit's Bene-tint, which is a cheek and lip tint that's supposed to be really great. Alas, when I opened my pink bubble wrapped package, there was no Bene-tint for me. This has happened to me a few times with the Glam Bag. I feel like their website showcases the best products you might receive, so you get really pumped, and then they sent you some other friggin crap like the sparkly eye gel I got last month. Don't they know that this is the stuff that keeps me going in life? I guess not.
Here's what I did receive:
1. BH Cosmetics California Collection Eyeshadow Sample- This little trio looks alright to me. I swatched them on my hand-nothing special, but the brown in the middle is pretty and I could probably use the gold too. BH Cosmetics is a bargain brand though. This set is a sample of a palette that comes with 16 shadows and 4 blushes for $10, so it's clearly not a high value item.
2. Coola Mineral Sunscreen/Tinted Moisturizer- I don't know that I'll use this at all. When I was in Barbados earlier this summer my face broke out really badly from the sunscreen I was using. I'm really nervous to try anything new in the facial sunscreen area, especially a mineral product. I have heard some reports that mineral oil can aggrevate or cause breakouts, and shorty don't want to play that game.
3. Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Renewal Beach Spray-Now this I can get with. I just finished a bottle of Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray, which is really good for getting beachy hair. I'm looking forward to seeing how this spray compares. It contains Argan Oil, which is one of the hottest oils on the market right now(according to me).
4. Nailtini Nail Laquer in Mai Tai-Well this looks kind of pretty and summery doesn't it now? Plus it's a full size product which is always nice. I already tried it on a couple nails to see how it looks. But I didn't have time to fully do my nails so I had to remove it. Which turned out to be next to impossible. I'm not kidding, I rubbed at it with a cotton pad and nail polish remover for over a minute with each nail and it barely smudged. To get it off I had to apply a thick coat of clear polish and immediately rub it off before that dried (that's actually a good trick for getting stubborn sparkly polish off too). You know I ain't got time for that-this is a total throwaway product for me.
5. Pop Beauty Pouty Pop Crayon in Fuchsia Flirt-This almost makes up for the nail polish. I don't know if ya heard, but lip crayons are huge right now (right up there with Argan Oil). Almost every makeup brand seems to have a line of them. I own a few from Cover Girl and Revlon and really like them. This one from Pop Beauty is a really pretty, wearable pink. It has a fairly sheer formula that makes it easy to apply and nice for every day wear.
This is the third Glam Bag I've received. Even though they like to build up your hope with better products than you actually get, and despite the fact that they thought it would be funny for my nails to be bright orangey-coral for ALL OF ETERNITY, I'd still give this subscription service a thumbs up. Yeah, you get some crapola, but each month there has been at least 2 products I've been excited about and gotten some use out of. And there's always brands that I've heard of and might want to try anyway. Plus it's fun to break up the monotony of post quarter-life crisis existence with a pretty pink package in the mail. I've more or less accepted the fact that I'm probably not going to get "discovered" at Starbucks on a Tuesday afternoon and become an overnight international sensation (despite lack of any kind of talent and average at best looks). But it's still nice to feel special once in while. I realize that I am paying for, and sending the package to myself but it's all I got, so just let me have it ok?